Long Life Salad

20140103-135601.jpg

A couple days ago, I was watching my favorite Diner’s, Drive-Ins, and Dives when Guy Fieri happened upon a joint known as Phat Bites in Nashville. The owner there made a salad that she calls Long Life Salad and I knew I had to recreate it the moment Guy Fieri proclaimed he loved it. Mind you, I’ve never been to Nashville, there is no recipe posted (although hundreds of requests after that episode), and I only watched the making of the salad once. This, ladies and gentleman, is my own adaptation of this salad, seeing as how I’ve never even tasted the original. Maybe I should have an attorney write some fine print in here somewhere, but I’m not trying to steal someone else’s thunder.

When I saw this salad, my first thought was “please don’t let that be kale.” My first impression of kale wasn’t a good one, but I decided to give it another chance to redeem itself. Congratulations Kale! You are now on the list of super foods I will eat! On that note, I think the key to having kale not taste like garbage is dressing it properly and letting it absorb the other flavors. Hence, the reason why I made the dressing first, dressed the kale with it, and left it to hang out overnight.

Be forewarned: this is a 2 day process to make this salad. I do solemnly swear, however, you will be richly rewarded with not only an amazing salad, but a powerhouse of nutrition! Bonus: you will have more than enough to pack lunch for a week! I’m not promising a longer life here, but certainly a healthier one…

20140103-134139.jpg

For the dressing:
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup fresh squeezed lemons
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1/2 cup honey
1 tablespoon 21 seasoning from Trader Joe’s (or all purpose seasoning)

Whisk all ingredients briskly until smooth.

In a large bowl with lid, toss 1 package organic Tuscan Kale with the dressing. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

Meanwhile, cover 1 cup red spilt lentils with water and soak overnight. I use my crockpot and turn them on low the next day for a couple hours.

For the salad:
I package Kale, dressed in lemon dressing overnight
1 cup red lentils, soaked, cooked and rinsed
1 cup organic Quinoa
1 cup dried cranberries
2 cups raisins
1 cup pistachios (meats only)
2 cups fresh mango, chopped

On the second day, assemble the salad by tossing the above ingredients with the kale. Squeeze with fresh lemon juice if desired 😊

About these ads

Tags: , , ,

Categories: Side Dishes

Author:once in a blue moon

A wife, mom, cook, educator, runner, and lover of all things Blue Moon.

Subscribe to our RSS feed and social profiles to receive updates.

23 Comments on “Long Life Salad”

1. kate
    January 12, 2014 at 6:02 pm #

Thanks for sharing this. I watched DDD and immediately beagn to search for the recipe, can’t wait to try it!

• January 12, 2014 at 6:14 pm #

I hope you like it, but please remember it’s my own version and not meant to be exactly like the salad from Phat Bites 😊

2. Jennifer
    February 1, 2014 at 4:00 am #

I JUST saw the episode and quickly came here to search for it and stumbled upon this recipe. Her dressing was orange and lemon peel along with the juice of both and coconut oil. She did stream in a liquid oil as well. She had Christmas beans, navy beans, black eyed peas (I think), orange lentils, quinoa, pecans, craisins, mangoes, plums, raisins, Kale, S&P, and I think one more ingredient that I’ve missed. I have to admit, I found her recipe to be tedious but great if making a huge batch. Your recipe appears more realistic for a Household of 4 or less.I would probably add some dried blueberries and dried cherries as well, but thats because our family enjoys that. Thank you for posting your variation!

• February 1, 2014 at 5:41 am #

Hi Jennifer! Thanks for paying better attention than I did and yes, my own version is simplified compared to hers. There was a little much protein for my taste with all the beans, plus the quinoa and lentils. You could really substitute a lot of the ingredients in here to suit your own taste and the dried blueberries and cherries sound amazing! Let me know how your version turns out 😊

3. February 16, 2014 at 8:03 pm #

Thanks so much for the recipe. I buy my kale unpackaged at the market, so I am wondering about how much kale is in the package you refer to.

• February 16, 2014 at 8:42 pm #

Hi Julie- it’s about a 6 oz. package of Kale which I know is more than a bunch. I would probably use two bunches of Kale for this recipe. Let me know how it turns out for you 😊

4. Suzanne
    April 27, 2014 at 12:52 am #

I will make this and use macadamia nut or avocado oil in place of a junky oil like safflower, corn, soybean, sunflower or canola.

5. Cheryl B.
    April 27, 2014 at 2:11 am #

I was wondering about how the kale holds up with the dressing on it. I’m thinking about having leftovers for several days.

• April 27, 2014 at 2:38 am #

Kale is actually better the longer it’s able to absorb the flavors! It doesn’t wilt like lettuce and it makes this the perfect salad for weekday lunches you can make on the weekend 😊

6. May 2, 2014 at 5:05 am #

Boy was I glad to see these comments. I was watching DDD too and though oh I will catch the recipe next time, not realizing it was an old repeat. I glad to Jennifer has a great memory. I knew it was a couple of beans but couldn’t remember any beans except for the Christmas beans. I did remember she used lemon and orange peels with coconut oil. I probably will not use all the items but I’m looking forward to playing and making my version. It’s amazing how a salad looked so good and healthy. I will let you know how my version turns out.

7. May 3, 2014 at 9:28 pm #

I saw this same episode and am delighted to discover your recipe! I cannot wait to try it :) May I reblog? :)

8. Dawn
    May 6, 2014 at 1:30 am #

Thanks for posting!!! I’ve been thinking about that salad for a few days now. I can’t wait to try your recipe…

9. nancy bubb
    May 24, 2014 at 12:22 am #

Thanks for sharing this recipe! I’m making it this weekend and wonder do I cook the Quinoa or add to salad raw?

• May 24, 2014 at 12:33 am #

It needs to be cooked. I used the Trader Joe’s frozen quinoa which is precooked, but regular quinoa would need to be cooked first! Enjoy 😊

10. September 2, 2014 at 6:40 am #

Awesome!!! I just watched this episode again. And was saying ugh, I should write this down! So glad to have found you on Google with your version!

• September 2, 2014 at 2:09 pm #

I’m so glad you found it too and I hope you enjoy the salad 😊

11. Christine
    October 17, 2014 at 1:10 am #

Just caught the episode tonight (canada time -smile) can’t wait to put all the comments tonight and make it for the week-end yeah ! For our team -Christine , Winnipeg mb canada

12. DrP
    October 18, 2014 at 12:40 am #

So I live in Nashville and am 5 minutes from Phat Bites. I’m eating the salad now as I search for a recipe! Enjoyed reading the tips.

• October 18, 2014 at 12:43 am #

Lucky you! I hope you enjoy this version as much as the real thing 😊